In order to enroll in the Contra Costa School of Performing Arts,
you must complete the following steps in compliance with posted deadlines:
Please review the Enrollment Policy (CLICK HERE) for more details.
In addition to any other requirement imposed under law, SPA shall be nonsectarian in its programs, admission policies, employment practices, and all other operations, shall not charge tuition, and shall not discriminate against any pupil on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender expression, gender identity, disability, or any of the characteristics listed in Education Code Section 220. Admission to SPA is open to any resident of California that is of legal age to attend public school. SPA admits all pupils who wish to attend as outlined in Education Code Section 47605(d)(2).
The SPA Board of Directors shall ensure that student outreach activities and information sessions, including but not limited to those activities as described in the SPA Charter, which are designed to recruit a broad, diverse representation of students, are conducted in accordance with the SPA Charter. There is no fee to apply to or attend SPA.
Charter School Complaint Notice
California Education Code Requirements
California Education Code (EC) Section 47605(d)(4) (https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=47605&lawCode=EDC) states the following:
- A charter school shall not discourage a pupil from enrolling or seeking to enroll in a charter school for any reason, including, but not limited to, academic performance of the pupil or because the pupil exhibits any of the following characteristics:
- Academically low achieving
- Economically disadvantaged (determined by eligibility for any free or reduced-price meal program)
- English learner
- Foster youth
- Neglected or delinquent
- Sexual orientation
- Pupils with disabilities
- A charter school shall not request a pupil's records or require the parent, guardian, or pupil to submit the pupil's records to the charter school before enrollment.
- A charter school shall not encourage a pupil currently attending the charter school to disenroll from the charter school or transfer to another school for any reason (except for suspension or expulsion).
- This notice shall be posted on a charter school's Internet website and a charter school will provide copies of this notice (1) when a parent, guardian, or pupil inquires about enrollment; (2) before conducting an enrollment lottery, and (3) before disenrollment of a pupil.
Complaint Procedures: In order to submit a complaint, complete the Charter School Complaint Form and submit the form to the charter school authorizer, electronically or in hard copy, to the following location:
Contra Costa County Office of Education
77 Santa Barbara Rd.
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523-4201